A man arrested after federal law enforcement officers found more than 1,000 guns in a house in one of the wealthiest areas of Los Angeles has been charged with 64 felony counts, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said.
Girard Damian Saenz, 58, pleaded not guilty Monday, the prosecutor’s office said in a statement Monday.
He was arrested in May after federal and local agents seized more than 1,000 weapons in Bel-Air, the DA’s office said.
It’s just beyond comprehension that somebody can have so many weapons in residence like this in a neighbourhood like this,” a Los Angeles police official said at the time of Saenz’s arrest.
A man is charged with 23 counts of possession of weapons, 17 counts of a transfer of handgun with no licensed firearms dealer, 15 counts of illegal assault weapon/.50 BMG rifle activity, seven counts of possession of a short-barrelled rifle or shotgun, and two counts of possession of a destructive system, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said in Monday’s statement.
If convicted, the sentence of 48 years and eight months in state prison, the DA’s office said.
Saenz had been free on $50,000 bail. It was increased to $100,000 on Monday, and he posted that and was released, the news agency City News Service reported. Jail records show he was released on Monday afternoon.
Prosecutors said the case was filed Friday, and that the alleged offenses happened between January 2016 and May of this year.
Online court records did not seem to checklist an attorney late Monday.
Los Angeles police said at the time of the seizure, which is called one of the most substantial recoveries of weapons in LAPD history that the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives received information that a person was promoting and manufacturing illegal weapons, which led to the search warrant.